Posted September 4, 2012 | 5 Comments
Hello, loves! Happy (feels-like-Monday) Tuesday! We’re kicking off a brand new week and a brand new season of handmade wedding loveliness. Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer so we’re moving towards fall with full speed ahead. Get ready for pumpkin spice coffee, hayrides, apple picking, and all sorts of fall-inspired wedding loveliness to come! Today we’re taking a cue from kids around the country as they head off to the first day of school with school themed wedding ideas. Perfect for the fall picking, this theme ties in sharpened pencils, apples, vintage cursive cards, globes, chalkboards, and more. If you are high school sweethearts, teachers, or just love this school themed wedding idea, read on to see twenty favorite inspiring finds. Enjoy!
20 Fun (+ Creative!) School Themed Wedding Ideas
1. Have a connection with a school or live near an old fashioned schoolhouse? Make it your venue! Be sure to snap plenty of photos inside (before and after the wedding) and take full advantage of the chalkboards and quirky decor.
2. Kick off the nuptials with a thematic save the date, like this one we spotted…
3. For place cards, write guests’ names on strips of paper and attach the strips to string. Tie strings around apple stems and place at each person’s seat.
4. Utilize chalkboards to display a welcome sign, seating chart, cocktail menu, or ‘here comes the bride’ at your ceremony.
5. Send school themed wedding invitations.
6. Instead of traditional envelope seals, use gold star stickers instead.
7. Create a decorative vignette for your guest book table to tie in the school themed wedding look. Search garage sales or online for things like a globe, vintage wall clock, old fashioned pencil sharpener, and abacus.
8. Score a set of vintage cursive flash cards – or make your own! Clip cards to twine with clothespins and string across a wall or between two trees.
9. Have guests fill out ‘pop quizzes’ at each table instead of a formal guest book. Mix in fun and sentimental, like the guest’s favorite memory of the bride / groom or what the guest’s favorite band is and what song the couple should listen to. Then, place the cards in a box and read after the big day. We also found this inspiration that tells guests to ‘pass a note’ with centerpieces filled with cards and crayons.
10. Serve cupcakes with adorable fondant toppers, like these with pencil erasers, A+ papers, and miniature red apples.
11. Make custom crayon packets for kids (and pair with coloring books).
12. Use a simple composition book as a guest book.
13. Supply guests with paper airplanes to toss in the air instead of rice!
14. Create a seating chart table with red apples as escort ‘cards’; include numerical stickers on each apple.
15. Give a favor guests will use: pencils!
16. Create simple vase centerpieces with school-themed alphabet cards clipped in.
17. Ditch boring ceremony programs; opt for fun, school-themed ones instead!
18. Instead of table ‘numbers’, assign subject ‘names’ instead.
19. Tie favors with personalized ‘looseleaf’ tags, customized just for you!
20. Make DIY centerpieces with books, miniature globes, and wrapped aluminum cans-turned-vases.
* * *
Would you plan a school-themed wedding?
Like this post?
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure page.
About the Author
Latest posts by Emma Arendoski (see all)
- The Ultimate Silhouette Wedding Cake, Ever. - September 1, 2014
- 4 Books Every Bride Should Read Before the Wedding - August 30, 2014
- Wildflower Seed Favors — Giveaway #30 / 31 - August 29, 2014