Looking for unique ceremony ideas to make yours even more memorable? You’ll find them here! Your wedding is a huge part of your lifelong adventure as a couple. Don’t let your ceremony be anything but extraordinary! Today we’re showing you fun, practical, and totally creative ceremony ideas to make yours memorable. With twenty-one unique ideas, there’s sure to be one you haven’t seen yet including ceremony seating, backdrops, bridesmaid bouquet alternatives, a nighttime activity for guests, and more. Read on to be inspired!
21 Unique Ceremony Ideas
1. Change up the seating.
No two ceremonies are the same, so why should the seating be? This ceremony featured guests arranged in a more circular shape.
We love these unique pallet ottomans for a beach wedding…
… and this fun idea of eclectic seating for a backyard bash.
2. Carry a bouquet that will last forever.
Unlike fresh flowers, a fabric bouquet won’t wilt, fade, or die. An alternative wedding bouquet, like fabric, lasts forever. Since it’s handmade, it can be customized to your specific color palette. This fabric bouquet is one of our favorites and is handmade by All for Love, L.O.V.E.. It’s a definite keeper.
3. Perform a ‘knot-tying’ ceremony.
A knot-tying ceremony is similar to the unity ceremony but involves a fisherman’s knot. The couple ties the knot together to form a very strong knot; the knot only gets tighter with pressure and cannot come undone which represents the couple’s strength. Perfect for a nautical wedding! You can get a knot-tying ceremony kit here.
4. Offer hankies to guests.
For tears of joy, giving hankies to guests is one of our favorite ceremony ideas. You can get really cute handkerchiefs here.
Here’s the hankies you can buy for your ceremony:
5. Write your own vows…
6. Have bridesmaids carry something other than flowers.
A clutch purse is way more functional for carrying down the aisle instead of flowers. Money well spent!
Or, have bridesmaids carry lanterns instead. (At night, they offer additional lighting!)
For a book themed wedding, have bridesmaids carry their favorite book down the aisle.
7. Have your bridesmaid sign the bottoms of your shoes before you walk down the aisle.
Tradition states that the name still remaining after the night is through will be the next to walk down the aisle.
9. Have your guest book available at the ceremony.
If your ceremony takes place near your reception, have your guest book display out and ready for signatures. If guests are early, they can get a head start on signing your book. You’ll ensure more guests have a chance to see it and sign it before your reception.
10. Pick out an awesome ceremony backdrop.
11. Plan a grand entrance… outdoors!
This ‘entrance’ is the perfect combination of handmade monograms + vintage doors.
12. Infuse your decor with unexpected decor — like lace.
13. Play a nontraditional song down the aisle.
13. Offer ceremony fans instead of traditional programs.
14. Skip the veil and wear an alternative instead.
This soft feathery fascinator is one excellent alternative. By All for Love, L.O.V.E.
You can also see lots of bridal veil alternatives here.
15. Choose an offbeat boutonniere.
Not a flower-loving groom? Skip the traditional flower and opt for a boutonniere alternative. A starfish becomes a perfect thematic touch for a beach wedding, as seen in the example below.
A key is a great addition to your vintage decor…
… or, for a whimsical touch, opt for a pinwheel boutonniere. You can find whimsical pinwheel boutonnieres here.
16. Plan a ceremony with a view.
17. Wear shoes that personify your style.
Choose comfortable wedding shoes that add a little style down the aisle! For example, TOMS wedding shoes are a huge trend for brides who loooove comfort.
18. Remind guests to pick a seat… not a side.
Or try this new take: “sit wherever your heart desires”. Sign by Flora South Designs.
19. Select a non-traditional wedding ring ‘pillow’.
20. Have guests wave flags instead of tossing rice or seed.
Or try any of these fun ceremony toss ideas — there’s so many creative ways to do a ceremony send-off!
21. After the ceremony, release sky lanterns.
What are the most unique ceremony ideas you’ve ever seen?