Ready to book your wedding reception venue? WAIT! — don’t do anything until you ask these important questions. They’ll save you a headache later on and guarantee that you and your venue are on the same page. After all, don’t you want to spend less time stressing and more time enjoying the fun, like this cute couple?
We thought so! Read on to begin…
Questions to Ask Wedding Venue
1. Is our wedding date available?
The most popular of the questions to ask your wedding venue? Your date! Find out if your date is available and, if so, how to book it to ensure your date is saved.
2. How many other weddings are booked on the same day?
It’s helpful to know how many other weddings are happening at the same time as yours. It’s fine if there are additional weddings the same day, as long as ample staff can handle the size of your event.
3. How much is the deposit?
Be very clear about how much you owe to reserve the date, when it is due, and how you can make a payment.
4. How many deposits are required?
If more than one deposit is required, find out when they are due and which method payment can be made.
5. Do we owe for “extra” costs?
These extra costs are sometimes in fine print and can include a cleaning fee, overtime charge, or gratuity. Make sure you get all the costs before signing anything.
6. What is your cancellation policy?
As with any contractual obligation, you should know what the cancellation policy is. You most likely won’t need to use it, but what if you found a venue you liked more? Or you had to change the date?
7. When do we need the final head count / what is the last possible date for changes?
8. Who will be in charge of our wedding on the day-of?
If you can meet them — that’s even better! It’s always helpful to know who will be in charge of your wedding at the venue; getting to know them beforehand is always a plus.
9. Can we make a payment arrangement?
This is helpful if you are hoping to have a payment schedule set up to make fixed payments over a set period of time for the remaining balance.
10. Do I need to use your vendors?
Find out which vendors are required by the venue. Some venues have specific caterers, bakers, dj’s, and more they work with exclusively. If you have a preference on specific vendors, make sure you ask this question before booking your wedding venue. If you can bring in your own vendors, see what they offer vs. what you need to bring yourself (like sound equipment).
11. When time can vendors arrive for setup?
12. Is this venue handicap accessible?
13. Will there be ample parking?
This is especially helpful if you have a large guest list.
14. What are your decoration rules?
Most venues have rules on how you can decorate, and where. Make sure you find out before moving forward AND ask any specific questions before signing. If you wish to use candles, find out first if they’ll allow it, as many venues prohibit them.
15. What time do guests have to leave the venue?
And find out if there is a charge for ‘overtime’, in which case the party goes longer than expected.
16. Who is responsible for setting up and taking down decor? When does it need to be completed?
17. Do you have any photographer limitations?
Pass this information on to your photographer / videographer.
18. Do you have an in-house bartender and/or caterer?
If there is an outside caterer you wish to use, ask if you can. As with the above, many venues already have a caterer at the ready and do not allow outside caterers.
19. (If Outdoor Venue) — What is your policy on inclement weather? Is there a backup location?
20. What is your pricing for bartending / alcohol?
Find out if you can bring your own liquor (if you wish), if there is a corkage fee (you’d be surprised how quickly this can add up), and make sure they have a liquor license.
More Great Questions to Ask
As added by reader, Rae:
20. Is wedding insurance required?
21. Do we need to have the music off at a certain point?
22. May I have all three events — Ceremony, Cocktail Hour & Reception all on-site?
♥ | ♥ | ♥
What would you add to the list?
– – –
LIKE IT? Pin it!