You put so much effort into your perfect wedding day look: the best wedding dress, the most comfortable shoes, a picture-perfect hairstyle, flawless makeup, and even pre-wedding skincare prep.
You want to look good. And you’re going to look amazing!
But what about your teeth? If you want to get whiter teeth for your wedding, we’re sharing some of our best tips to help.
Let’s get started!
Whiten Teeth Before Your Wedding
Ready to learn how to get whiter teeth and a brighter smile? Check out the following eight easy steps + get ready for a pearly-white smile!
1. Avoid drinks that yellow teeth.
Coffee, cola, chocolate, tea, and red wine are just a few things that contribute to a yellowing smile. If you’re preparing for your big day, skipping out on these habits might just prove to give you a whiter smile. If you can’t curb your coffee or cola addiction, take a cue from my hygienist who suggested drinking beverages – like cola – from a straw instead.
2. Try the best teeth whitening
Whitening trays can be used in the convenience of your home and can make a dramatic difference to your smile.
There are plenty of kinds to choose from at the drugstore – even some dentists offer take-home kits you can try.
I was about to give up on at-home teeth whitening because my teeth are SO sensitive; the messy strips you can buy at the drugstore just don’t work that well on my teeth (and they hurt!)
But after checking out some reviews at Sporting Smiles, I decided to give them a try. They sent me a free kit in exchange for my honest review, and let me tell you: these are awesome. (If they weren’t, I wouldn’t bother telling you about them.) These are not generic whitening kits: these are customized, made from YOUR actual mouth thanks to an easy mold you create of your mouth and send into their lab. From there, they create a customized whitening tray that fits your mouth.
• Is it easy to do? Yes! The mixing and the tray to create the mold is super easy and fast; shipping to send it to them to create the whitening tray is fast and pre-paid.
• Does it work? For me, yes!
Each smile is different, and results may vary, but for me this improved my tooth whiteness dramatically after just one 10-minute whitening session. They provide you with enough whitening gel that lasts a long time, so I’m excited to keep up with my whitening ahead of the holiday months, too!
• What about sensitive teeth? You’re preaching to the choir here! My teeth are quite sensitive, especially when it comes to whitening. I was nervous to try yet another brand of whitening that I worried would make my gums hurt, but instead, these didn’t bother me as much. They were minimally sensitive, so I kept it on for 10 minutes vs. a full 15 minutes, and it worked great. Afterward, no pain or sensitivity for me… which, compared to other brands, is exceptional. One time I used a major brand’s whitening strips and my teeth hurt for the rest of the day.
• Where can I get it? Now that I’ve tried it (and liked it so much!), we’re working with Sporting Smiles as a sponsor. You can get a kit here at a great price and start whitening today!
3. Eat your way to a whiter smile.
According to Dr. Timothy Chase of SmilesNY (via this article), there are a few foods that can help promote a white smile include apples, carrots, strawberries, and oranges. Dr. Chase also adds that, “rubbing an orange peel or a strawberry over your teeth, followed by washing your mouth out with water, can act as a natural teeth polish.”
4. Just add baking soda.
Never in a million years would I have grown to love baking soda so much. I am a sucker for home remedies and nearly every cleaning remedy includes baking soda in some capacity. For whiter teeth, you can brush your teeth once a week with a baking soda + water paste (as you would with toothpaste, rinsed with water) for a gradually whiter smile.
5. Avoid dark red lipsticks and glosses.
Bold reds, oranges, or cool shades of lipstick tend to bring out the yellow in your teeth, even if your teeth are already stunningly white. Instead, opt for a neutral or warm shade.
6. Chew sugarless gum.
According to Web MD, chewing sugarless gum can lead to whiter teeth because it cleanses your teeth and triggers saliva, which neutralizes the acid the causes tooth decay.
7. Give your toothpaste a boost.
Make sure your toothpaste and mouthwash are both formulated for a whiter smile. You can also add a whitening agent to your favorite toothpaste to give it a boost: I’ve tried this toothpaste with charcoal in-between whitenings and really enjoy the results. A little bit goes a long way!
8. Visit your dentist.
If you have sensitive teeth or prefer professional whitening in one visit, simply see your dentist. He or she can let you know if your teeth are as white as they should be and give you the necessary treatments to make your teeth look their best.
Plus, healthy teeth are the foundation of a whiter, brighter smile, so it’s important to get regular checkups.
Then… get ready to smile big + enjoy your happy day!