We typically focus on the bride, the groom, or bridesmaids as a whole, but there is one important person in your wedding party you don’t want to overlook: your flower girl! She is the one who looks up to you and wants to make you proud, even if she feels too scared to walk down the aisle and scatter the petals around for you. To make her feel less nervous on the big day and show her how special she is to the wedding ceremony, follow these five steps we’ve compiled on how to keep your flower girl happy. After all, the only tears seen on your wedding day ought to be your own (and those are happy ones, of course!) Read on for the steps…
How to Keep Your Flower Girl Happy
1. Give her a pretty dress to wear. This one’s easy. If you want her to be happy, she ought to be comfortable. We love these eco-friendly handmade flower girl dresses by the lovely Olive & Fern as an example:
2. Give her a gift of jewelry such as a pretty wrist corsage. A soft floral accessory she can wear around her wrist will be comfortable + airy enough to wear on the wedding day and beyond!
3. Include her in “big girl” items with just-for-her miniature versions…
Like a pretty clutch made in a miniature version to fit in tiny hands, but identical to match the bridesmaids.
4. Opt for a flower girl wand instead of a traditional basket and petal routine.
Tossing petals down the aisle may seem intimidating to first-time flower girls. As an alternative, you could ask her to carry something easier instead – like a flower girl wand, which we love – so she can carry something that makes her feel like a princess. Plus, she can keep it after the wedding and it will never wilt.
5. Keep her warm! A little chill in the air, particularly late fall or winter weddings, can make anyone uncomfortable. Gift your flower girl a special sweater or custom handmade cardigan to wear to keep her toasty warm after the ceremony so she has fun out on the dance floor.
And, a few things that also might help is a candy buffet (kids of all ages love it, adults included!) or a bag of her favorite candy like gummi bears; a toy or some games with which to play; a few twirls out on the dance floor with her favorite bride; and, of course, a ring bearer or another flower girl with whom she can run around with at the reception. (Read: 21 Awesome Flower Girl Gift Ideas.) It doesn’t take much to make her happy but a few of these above tips will definitely keep her smiling all day long!
Happy Planning + Happy New Years Eve! :)