‘Tis the season for bridal showers! Now that spring has officially sprung, we’re getting excited about the parties happening in the upcoming months.
Read on for everything to make wedding shower planning a breeze! Enjoy!
Planning a Bridal Shower
Here’s what you need to know to plan a bridal shower for your favorite bride-to-be.
1. What is a bridal shower?
A wedding shower — also called a bridal shower, same thing — is a party to honor the bride-to-be. The reason why it is referred to as such is that the guests are “showering” the couple with well-wishes and gifts.
2. What kind of shower should I have?
Most bridal showers are brunch or luncheon, held around noon to mid-afternoon (12-3 pm or 1-4 pm, typically).
When planning a bridal shower, the important things to serve include a meal, cake, coffee, and beverages. Snacks on tables are optional but are always enjoyed by guests.
PRO TIP: When planning a bridal shower, choose custom decorations to personalize it for the bride. This cake topper is one example by Thistle and Lace Shop.
3. When is a bridal shower held?
A bridal shower is held anywhere from a few weeks to two months before the wedding. Most wedding showers are held on a Saturday or Sunday but can be held any day of the week.
4. Who hosts the wedding shower?
Today, the wedding shower is typically given or hosted by the bride’s mother, and the groom’s mother, or hosted together. Sometimes, the Maid of Honor may host, bridesmaids may throw the shower for the bride, or family members of the couple decide to host the shower.
There are no set rules to this; however, no matter who hosts, the bridal party traditionally contributes their time to the event to help set up, run the party, assist with any planning, etc. Some bridal party members may wish to contribute money to the host towards the shower.
5. Who is invited to the shower?
A wedding shower guest list includes close family and friends of the couple and is usually an all-ladies event. You do not need to invite every guest to the shower but keep in mind that any guest invited to the shower must also be invited to the wedding.
6. How many people should be invited?
The host decides how large or how small of a wedding shower to plan, along with input from the bride.
8. Do you have to play games at the shower?
One of the best parts of planning a bridal shower is figuring out what games to play! And bridal shower games are, in our opinion, really fun!
Games serve as an icebreaker for guests and can be a fun way to pass the time at the shower before food is served.
• Guests win fun prizes from the host, like gift baskets filled with gourmet food, candy, makeup products, bath bombs, gift cards, and more. We love giving away these fun tumblers, unique gifts like this, or these gift boxes, which are always a hit.
Games can be simple, printable sheets of paper passed out to guests at the start of the party. Here are a few of our favorite bridal shower games to play and where you can buy them.
WHERE TO BUY BRIDAL SHOWER GAMES
Here are some of our favorite wedding shower games printable / print-at-home versions that make it super easy for your bridal shower.
These games are by Hey Lovely Co.
• He Said / She Said | print here
• Guess the Dress | print here
These next games are by Pineapple Design Co.
• Name That Cake | print here
• What’s On Your Phone? | print here
• Guess Who Said It | print here
• Bridal Bingo | print here
• Find the Guest | print here
• Match the Disney Love Song | print here
And this one, I couldn’t resist! It’s new this year and such a fun idea. By Mint Print Studio.
• Who Has the Groom Bridal Shower Game | print here
Scratch Off Games
To give away a door prize or easy win for one guest, use these scratch-off game cards by Inklings Paperie.
Date Night Idea Cards
• These date night idea cards are a fun way to collect date night ideas from guests. By Decocards.
And don’t forget the pencils! These keepsake pencils are personalized with the couple’s names and wedding dates. By Define Design 11.
7. Where can I buy bridal shower invitations to send?
You can buy bridal shower invitations at party-supply stores in-person. Or you can shop easily online. We really love the new bridal shower invitations at Minted with gorgeous designs and tons of themes from which to choose. You can even get a free sample of any invitation here.
Here are a few of the latest bridal shower invites we love from here.
You can change any of the colors on these invitations to coordinate with her favorite colors or wedding palette.
• For more tips on planning a bridal shower — specifically, invitations — read: What Should a Bridal Shower Invitation Say with everything you need to include on the invite.
SHOP MORE BRIDAL SHOWER INVITATIONS HERE!
9. Do you include wedding registry information with the invitation?
Yes. This is the only stationery in wedding planning where registry information is included on the invitation or on a small printed enclosure card within the invitation. Many couples are opting for modern registries, like this and you can add any gift from ANYWHERE — even online.
10. Do bridal party attendants need to bring a gift to the shower?
According to etiquette rules, bridal party attendants should bring a gift to the shower. However, if she is contributing time or money to host the shower, it is not mandatory to also bring a gift. Many bridesmaids simply want to give a gift to celebrate the bride and groom at the shower (but it need not be extravagant unless you wish).
11. What should the bride wear to the shower?
12. Do you give favors to guests at a shower?
Yes! Bridal shower favors are given to guests as a thank-you for attending. Here’s a list of 50 Most Creative Bridal Shower Favors you’ll truly love.
13. Do I need to have a bridal shower theme?
You don’t have to, but a theme definitely helps when planning a bridal shower. We’ve rounded up our favorite themes here to inspire you.
Planning a Bridal Shower: Any Questions?
Hope these planning the bridal shower tips helped you! If you need more help, feel free to email us here or leave it in the comments box below. :)
Happy Wedding Shower Planning!