The weekend is right around the corner and we thought it was a great opportunity to share this fun weekend-ready post. For some couples, once they get engaged the ‘dates’ go right out the window, traded in for constant wedding planning. We say… bring on the date nights! Take a (temporary) wedding planning break once in awhile to remember why you’re tying the knot in the first place. Be spontaneous. Surprise him or her. They’ll love it. To give you a little nudge, we’ve rounded up fifty of the best cheap date ideas to try with your honey. However, there is one catch: you’re not allowed to talk about or think about anything wedding related while on your date. Deal? If you’re ready to get started… let’s begin!
P.S. We know weddings can get hella-expensive, so these are cheap dates designed to keep your budget in check. ;)
50 Cheap Date Ideas
1. Watch the sunset together.
Oh, and bring your pup. How cute is this?!
2. Spend the afternoon at your local farmer’s market.
3. Visit the zoo or aquarium. (Too pricey near you? Volunteer at an animal shelter and play with the pets.)
4. Date night in: rent a movie, buy popcorn and soda, and snuggle with a blanket.
5. Break out the board games for an indoor game night.
6. Find an outdoor concert with cheap lawn tickets + grab your lawn chairs for a fun summer date night.
7. Bike ride around town.
8. Plan a romantic dinner in for your fiance – cook, light candles, pour wine, and play romantic music in the background.
9. Plan a patio date in the summer: barbecue, add beverages (wine, iced tea), and enjoy the warm air.
10. Play putt-putt golf. Winner buys ice cream!
11. Learn a new outdoor activity together (kayaking, gardening, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, or sailing). Who knows – you may just find a new hobby you’ll love to do together!
12. Go bowling.
13. Take a cooking class together at a local parks and rec or community college. Have a friend who loves to cook? Ask them to teach you.
14. Go to a local museum. (If too expensive near you, head to a local historic marker and learn about your town. It’s all about learning something about history together.) You can sometimes score deals here.
16. Spend the afternoon at the beach.
17. Go on a road trip for the day. Map out your route, stop at anything fun on the way, and return home by nighttime.
18. Go thrifting: visit garage sales, flea markets, or estate sales and see who scores the sweetest deal.
19. Play paintball! (This is nearly free if you have your own equipment; if not, opt for a water gun fight instead.)
20. Hit up the arcade with handfuls of quarters.
21. Go to a local amusement park or carnival. (Local church festivals or carnivals are free to get in; just pay for what you’d like to do like play games or eat.)
22. Find a bar with karaoke – and do a (likely hilarious) duet.
23. Go to a show to support a local band.
24. Take an art class together at a local parks and rec or community college near you. (Too expensive near you? Grab two canvases and paints and get to work. You may even create some pretty amazing artwork for your home.)
25. Go on a second “first date”. Get dressed up, drive separately, and pretend you’ve just met. Hold hands. Ask questions awkwardly. Get butterflies.
26. Go on a Geo-caching treasure hunt. Or, grab one of these gadgets. I’ve never done this, but it’s on my to-do list.
27. Go hiking.
28. Have a bonfire complete with marshmallows ready for toasting.
29. Fly kites or RC planes (if you have one). It’s a nice way to get fresh air and feel like a kid again.
30. Go to a drive in movie.
31. Go-karting. So. much. fun.
32. Work on a (fun) project together. Buy supplies, figure out instructions, and get to work!
33. Volunteer somewhere. You’ll spend quality time together – and help out someone else. Cool.
34. Go out for ice cream. Huge, topping-crazed ice creams.
35. Play Bingo. It’s surprisingly fun, affordable, and you may even win extra money for your honeymoon.
36. Have a water gun fight. ‘Nuff said. (Winter alternate: have a snowball fight.)
37. Teach the other how to do something they’ve never tried: the guitar, a new card game, how to bake an apple pie, just as a few examples.
38. Grab tickets to a local college sports game (baseball, football, basketball).
39. Go to a jazz club. (Or make your own at home.)
40. Get hooked on a new TV series and have a marathon. (Note: I love the series available on Amazon Prime, try it for free right now!)
41. Go for a night drive. Pack up some good tunes and ride off into the sunset.
42. Go to a club and dance your you-know-whats off.
43. Plan out your honeymoon. Spend the evening talking about where to go; once you decide, surf the internet to find attractions and things to do while you’re there.
44. Rollerblade at your local rink or around town.
45. Make reservations for dinner at a restaurant you’ve always wanted to go to. Get deals and save even more money.
46. Take a fitness class together you’d both enjoy. Or, buy a workout DVD, a challenging one (or even this!) to try at home.
47. Grab inflatable tubes and spend an afternoon on a river. (Cold weather alternate: go ice skating, sledding, or spend the afternoon at a cider mill.)
48. Learn how to brew your own beverage: try your hand at making cappuccinos, a flavored ice tea, or your own brewed beer. Become a coffee connoisseur and learn how to use a french press. You may find a new favorite.
49. Go on a restaurant tour – on the cheap. Stop in for an appetizer at a few different locations to try out some new foods.
50. Grab a few laughs at a comedy club or rent a funny movie to get rid of any wedding planning stress.
* * *
It doesn’t matter what the activity is… just have fun, take a break from stressing out, and enjoy spending some one-on-one time together.
So, we want to know…
What are YOUR favorite cheap date ideas?
Share them below!
Have you read the book yet?
Linked items above go to our affiliate Amazon account for shopping reference; however, shop wherever you prefer!
This post contains sponsorship or affiliate links. See our disclosure page.