Hey, loves! If you have some serious questions about boutonnieres, you’ve come to the right place. Today we’re talking about who wears wedding boutonnieres, what side a boutonniere is to be worn, and we’re also answering a new Ask Emmaline question from bride-to-be, Alicia, who wonders whether the ring bearer is supposed to wear a boutonniere. She writes,
Hey Emmaline… I know groomsmen wear boutonnieres, but does ring bearer wear boutonniere or a lapel pin? I can’t remember what the tradition is. Thanks!
Alicia, great question! The ring bearer can wear a boutonniere, but he doesn’t have to. The answer really depends on whether a) the boutonniere or lapel goes with his outfit, and b) whether wearing one will aggravate him. The ring bearer does not have to wear a boutonniere, but it does look nice in photos if all groomsmen — ring bearer included — have a coordinating boutonniere.
If it were up to me, I’d say YES, the ring bearer should wear a boutonniere. But I do understand he might not want to wear one. So, if your budget allows, do this: order a boutonniere for the ring bearer with the other boutonnieres. Worst case scenario? He ends up not wearing it and you give it away to another family member instead. There’s no hard rule that a ring bearer has to wear a boutonniere; it is a nice gesture from the bride and groom.
Now that we know about the ring bearer wearing a boutonniere, let’s talk about who gets a boutonniere at a wedding so you know exactly how many you need to order.
photo: onelove photography
Who Gets a Boutonniere at a Wedding
Here’s who wears wedding boutonnieres:
- Groom (obviously)
- Best Man
- Father/Stepfather of the Bride
- Father/Stepfather of the Groom
- Grandfather(s) of the Bride
- Grandfather(s) of the Groom
- Godparents (if applicable) *optional
- Readers *optional
- Ring Bearer *optional, as mentioned above
photo: onelove photography
What side is the boutonniere worn?
When pinning on the boutonniere, remember: a boutonniere is always worn on the left side. It’s easy to remember: just think about placing it above the heart.
Giveaway: Win FREE Wedding Boutonnieres
Giveaway: Win 3 Sola Flower Boutonnieres by Hey Bouquet
- Prize: Win three sola rose boutonnieres by Hey Bouquet in Caribbean Blue (photo below) //
Includes preserved flowers (caspia, babies breath)
Stem wrapped with twine
- Enter between 8/23/17-8/31/17 (11:59pm EST) // Winner announced on 9/1/17 and notified via email
- Winner must respond to winning email within 72 hours or new winner will be selected
- Prize value: $27 | no cash value
- FREE shipping included to U.S. and Canada
- Winner must accept delivery of prize within 3 months
- Past giveaway winners within 30 days not eligible to win
- Use entry form below to enter