Your wedding is a huge part of your amazing, lifelong adventure as a couple. Don’t let your ceremony be anything but extraordinary! Today we’re showing you some fun, practical, and totally unique ceremony ideas for your wedding to inspire your upcoming day. With twenty-one unique ideas for your ceremony, there’s sure to be one you haven’t seen yet! We’ve rounded up unique ideas for ceremony seating, backdrops, bridesmaid bouquet alternatives, a nighttime activity for guests, and much more. So, if you’re ready to take your ceremony to a more creative level, read on to be inspired…
21 Unique Ceremony Ideas
1. Change up the seating.
No two ceremonies are the same, so why should the seating be? This ceremony featured guests arranged in a more circular shape. We like!
We love these unique pallet ottomans for a beach wedding…
… and this fun idea of eclectic seating for a backyard bash.
2. Carry a bouquet that will last forever.
Unlike fresh flowers, a fabric bouquet won’t wilt, fade, or die. A fabric bouquet lasts forever and since it’s handmade it can be customized to your specific color palette. And, you can even have a special heirloom brooch sewn into the brooch to remember someone special on your big day. This fabric bouquet is one of our favorites and is handmade by All for Love, L.O.V.E.. It’s a definite keeper.
3. Perform a ‘knot-tying’ ceremony.
A knot-tying ceremony is similar to the unity ceremony but involves a fisherman’s knot. The couple ties the knot together to form a very strong knot; the knot only gets tighter with pressure and cannot come undone which represents the couple’s strength. Perfect for a nautical wedding!
4. Offer hankies to guests.
5. Write your own vows…
… and turn ‘em into one of these.
6. Have bridesmaids carry something other than flowers.
A clutch purse is way more functional after the wedding than a bouquet of flowers. Money well spent!
Or, have bridesmaids carry lanterns instead. (At night, they offer additional lighting!)
For a book themed wedding, have bridesmaids carry their favorite book down the aisle.
7. Have your bridesmaid sign the bottoms of your shoes before you walk down the aisle.
Tradition states that the name still remaining after the night is through will be the next to walk down the aisle.
8. Display your ceremony events on a chalkboard (instead of a program).
9. Have your guest book available at the ceremony.
If your ceremony takes place near your reception, have your guest book display out and ready for signatures. If guests are early, they can get a head start on signing your book. You’ll ensure more guests have a chance to see it and sign it before your reception.
10. Pick out an awesome ceremony backdrop.
And don’t be afraid tie in punchy pops of color (see more here).
11. Plan a grand entrance… outdoors!
This ‘entrance’ is the perfect combination of handmade monograms + vintage doors.
12. Infuse your decor with unexpected decor — like lace.
13. Play a nontraditional song down the aisle.
13. Offer ceremony fans instead of traditional programs.
Program fans: the thank-goodness-they-thought-of-this option for guests sitting out in the hot summer sun. Programs by Kama Catch Me.
14. Skip the veil and wear an alternative instead.
This soft feathery fascinator is one excellent alternative. By All for Love, L.O.V.E.
15. Choose an offbeat boutonniere.
Not a flower-loving groom? Skip the traditional flower and opt for a more thematic approach. A starfish becomes a perfect thematic touch for a beach wedding…
… a key is a great addition to your vintage decor…
… or, for a whimsical touch, opt for a pinwheel boutonniere.
16. Plan a ceremony with a view.
17. Wear shoes that personify your style.
18. Remind guests to pick a seat… not a side.
19. Select a non-traditional wedding ring ‘pillow’.
20. Have guests wave flags instead of tossing rice or seed.
21. After the ceremony, release sky lanterns.
What are the most unique ceremony ideas you’ve ever seen?
Latest posts by Emma Arendoski (see all)
- Giveaway:Win a Silk Bridal Clutch with Brooch - December 19, 2014
- Be My Bridesmaid Handkerchief - December 19, 2014
- 7 Free-Spirited Bohemian Wedding Ideas (+ Giveaway!) - December 18, 2014